Allantoin is not as well known as some other skincare ingredients. In fact, most people outside of the industry have never heard of it. It is however an essential part of some of the better skin lightening products. This article looks at Allantoin, its sources, effects and the benefits it provides.
What Is Allantoin?
Allantoin (aluminium dihydroxy allantoinate) is a natural plant extract taken from the Comfrey plant.
This is a native plant found in Europe and parts of Asia. It can also be sourced from other plants including chamomile, wheat sprouts, beets and tobacco seeds
It is thought to have soothing, healing properties.
For many hundred of years, it has been used in traditional medicine to help treat minor skin injuries and swellings.
The natural extract is completely safe and effective for use in skincare products.
These days you will also find laboratory created versions in some products.
It usually comes in powder form.
Allantoin is commonly mixed in liquids and creams to help boost the effects of various moisturisers, exfoliants and masks.
There is a lack of intense clinical studying into this ingredient and its effects.
However there is solid evidence that it works to moisturise and exfoliate the skin.
It helps by removing dead skin cells and allowing new skin cells to take their place.
Recommended Article: Which natural skin lightening creams are most effective and most popular?
What are the Benefits of Using Allantoin on Your Skin to Lighten it
It provides no less than 7 benefits to your skin.
This is why it can be found in some of the better skin lightening products.
- Moisturises: Allantoin is an effective emollient that maintain moisture, and reduces the risk of irritation and dryness
- Soothes : It is very good at soothing skin, it calms and protects, reducing the effects of irritants and sensitizing agents
- Boosts Healing : It has as established record as a wound healer. It soothes and speeds recovery of damaged skin cells. It is commonly used to treat rashes and irritation
- Boosts Hydration : Allantoin has a keratolytic property that improves the amount of water held in the skin cells. This boosts plumpness and youthfulness. Experts liken its effect to a sponge full expanded with water. Helping skin cells to hold onto more water for longer.
- Rejuvenates: Allantoin is very good at boosting the synthesis of collagen, especially in the face. It helps to stimulate the fibroblasts ( the cells that produce collagen). It also encourages the formation of new skin cells.
- Improves Dullness: Allantoin is known to boost cell proliferation. In other words it encourages the skin cells to repair and rejuvenate faster. It replaces the old, dead and dull cells that cause fine lines and dryness. This leaves the skin looking clearer, more youthful and with an even tone.
- Exfoliates: Its keratolytic effects also means that it is an effective exfoliant. Allantoin helps the skin to shed its outermost layers of skin from the inside out. It works by encouraging the transit of new, fresh skin cells to the surface. This pushes old, dead and discoloured cells away.
Does Allantoin Cause Any Side Effects
For the majority of users Allantoin is 100% safe and non toxic. It is gentle and non irritating, being suitable for even the most sensitive skin.
It is possible, (although quite rare) for some users to be allergic to the extract.
This is especially when the ingredient has been taken from crushed Comfrey leaves.
If you have any doubts, always do a patch test first.
Place a small amount of product on your wrist and leave for 24 hours to check for any adverse reactions.
How to Use Allantoin to Lighten Skin
Because it has a number of key uses, its always best to follow the individual products instructions.
Usually it takes the form of a serum that should be applied to the skin once or twice daily.
Use after cleansing, but before applying moisturiser.
Its Use in a Skin Lightening Products
Commercial skin lightening cream manufacturers include known effective and safe natural ingredients in their products
It has many benefits make it a great ingredient in skin lightening products. By providing soothing effects, and the fact that it helps boost hydration.
Its main contribution however is its ability to encourage and boost the exfoliation of older, dead and discoloured skin cells.
This makes way for the new lighter skin cells being formed beneath the skins outer layer.
As these are forced to the surface, the skin becomes smoother, lighter in colour and more evenly toned.
Allantoin can be found in a number of the better skin lightening products, including Zeta White cream.
Allantoin for Lightening Skin Summary
A remarkable skin ingredient. It offers numerous benefits to the skin.
It is surprising that it’s not found in a lot more products.
As a stand alone skin lightener, it offers no direct lightening effects.
Its job, and the reason why some of the better skin lighteners use it, is to help exfoliate and remove the darker skin cells.
This allows the newer lighter skin cells to come to the surface and take their place.
Allantoin Skin Lightening FAQ’s
It is a natural moisturizer, skin soother and exfoliant.
It soothes itchy red skin, moisturises and helps to exfoliate dead skin cells.
It can also help to reduce the appearance of scarring too.
Yes its completely safe for regular daily use.
It works well with most other products, moisturizers, toners and cleansers.
All we would say is that you should avoid using any other exfoliants at the same time as it could cause irritation if the combined strength is too high.